Monday, February 8, 2010

Snow, Smells & Smarts

Well it’s been quite a ride the last week and half. Our weather has been insane as most of you know. It’s now Monday and we were snowed in since Friday. I must say the kids have been great and have been having a blast but it’s still 4 long days stuck in the house with little stinky people! Now don’t think I’m being mean by calling them stinky – it’s just the facts! My laundry room, which is where everyone comes in from outside, smells like something died. I think I did! Ugh. Seriously, I can’t even describe the odor emanating from this little room. It’s a combo of sweat, dirty shoes, socks, and that BOY smell. There isn’t enough Febreeze to cover it up!!!! Even when I close the door to the room, it wafts out under the door and into my kitchen. I have my trusted candle burning but it’s not doing the trick. If anyone has suggestions I’m all yours!

This weather and being snowed in has turned people! You know when the nice guy next door starts using his truck as a battering ram from his driveway actually thinking he can batter his way from his house to the main road – which is at least ½ mile! Poor guy. He needed out. Ken was ready to walk the ½ mile in waist high snow to have his boss pick him up on the street and take him to work. The funny thing was watching Connor. Both boys have been running full steam (which is why my laundry room stinks – of course). Garrett seems to pace himself or at least handles his exhaustion a bit better. Connor on the other hand just goes and goes and then either falls apart or collapses. Well last night it was 9pm and we decided to let the boys stay up as school was cancelled. All I can say is Connor crossed over to the dark side! He started yelling at me he needed a juice…yelling, not asking. I said no as he teeth were brushed and no juice after 8pm. Then he flipped out. I told him to come down stairs so I could talk to him. I opened the fridge and showed him the juice and explained the sugar and the cavity scenario thinking this would make sense. I then grabbed flavored water but accidently dropped it on the floor. Within 2 seconds, Connor’s eyes went wild. Like he was a hunted animal or something. He looked at me, then in a flash, grabbed the water from the floor, pulled it to his chest (so no one could get it) then ran off all hunched over and looking over his shoulder. He looked like the hunchback of Notre Dame…What was that, my son?! I couldn’t even tell him no to the drink because I was a puddle on the floor laughing. The snow turned him! And then there’s the story about my neighbor’s kid. He has a sister and I wouldn’t say they’re best buds, but…. Ken watched them today and said they were walking in the snow and he just took his sister’s head and pushed it in the snow! So NOT nice! What happened to winter wonderland?! The snow turned him! I had the kids at Target and it was packed. I couldn’t seem to get Garrett or Connor to understand they either needed to walk behind me to stay out of the way or get in the cart. I won’t tell you how I acted but I will say the snow turned me!

We also decided that kids aren’t too bright! It seems as if they only hear you when they are expecting a response from you that they think will work in their favor. Otherwise – you’re SOL. Don’t bother. Ken had been yelling at the kids to not walk on the patio table (helllooo – it could break), don’t walk on the highest rung of the playground (hellooo, you my fall and break your arm) and then there was the neighbor’s kid – his was the best. He decided to sled from the top of the built up plowed snow into the cul-de-sac, WHILE the plows were still plowing!!!! Or how bout how the kids decided to follow our dog Kona like a bunch of lemmings. There they go trotting along…where will Kona take us. All of a sudden, kids are running and yelling as Kona just wanted to walk somewhere private to take a poop. Poor Kona – I should’ve warned you, kids just aren’t too bright sometimes.

Well that’s it for now. More snow to come tomorrow so perhaps some additional snow stories from the kids. Either that or I will have lost my mind and sense of humor and NOTHING will be funny!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment