Monday, February 22, 2010

Wish it were always so

I’m sure everyone who is reading this has at one time or another witnessed children in their purest and sweetest essence. Well I again saw that this weekend. First it started with a Friday night, after school trip to Subway for dinner. I was feeling a tad lazy myself and just didn’t feel like cooking. When I told the boys my plan they were beyond excited. Now let’s be honest, Subway is good but I don’t think “excited” is the word I’d use for a night out at the big S. It first started with Garrett asking me if I knew how to order food at Subway. Well of course I do. For Garrett it was going to be a 12inch, meatball sub on white. When I spoke this out loud (to show my ordering abilities), I was quickly informed that I was wrong and didn’t know how to speak “Subway”. Really?! Garrett then promptly yelled out the order and left me standing there in my ignorance. From there, he had to stand on the side of the ordering area so he could see the meatballs coming out of the little container they store them in. His eyes are wide, as if he was seeing Santa coming down the chimney. The guy scooping them into the bread was trying not to laugh. He then asked Garrett which specific meatballs he wanted. Garrett knew his desired meatballs and pointed to the largest of course! After getting our subs, the boys wanted to dine in. What a lovely dinner experience, to dine in at Subway. Truth be told we weren’t there long as Garrett was done with his 12 incher in 4 minutes. Needless to say the house didn’t smell too pleasant later that evening – but who cares, my boy had the time of his life.

The other stories really aren’t as funny as they are sweet. Both boys had play dates this weekend. Gotta love play dates – wear my kid out would ya?! Garrett’s play date was with his good friend Carson. Carson is a girl. I love her. She’s a tough cookie, could probably kick my tush anytime but is sweeter than molasses. She makes cards for Garrett, gave him a flower after a violin recital and is just a good natured kid. Well what I love is that one of his really good friends is a girl! How cool. I’m sure he’ll start to get crap about it within a year or two. Hopefully I can give him enough self-esteem along the way to stay true to himself and his friends.

On Connor’s side, his play date was with his friend Josh. Josh is in Connor’s Kindergarten class and has Downs Syndrome. You know, Connor doesn’t even notice. He just isn’t aware that Josh doesn’t speak as well as the other kids or that he’s a little bigger because he’s older. He just knows Josh is his friend and likes Star Wars, Lego’s and sword battle just like Connor does. At the end of their play date they were hugging each other and couldn’t wait to get together again.

Could you imagine if we stayed as pure and innocent within adulthood as we were as children? Life would be sweet.

On another funny note, I do have a funny story but since my husband is involved, he has banned me from putting it in the blog. So, if you want to hear it, you have to call me and ask about the “cracker races”. I’ll be waiting to hear from you……..

No comments:

Post a Comment