Sunday, January 17, 2010

Tick...Tick....Tick....

Hey everyone-I'd like to start by saying how my kids are the center of my universe. They make me laugh pretty much everyday. I think they make me cry everyday as well - as any parent will understand. However, day to day...I think my kids are hilarious. Now perhaps it's because I'm slightly off my rocker to begin with and my sense of humor might not be conventional! Who knows. What I do know is that my attempt at keeping a blog is truly to capture the light and funny of my life with kids. I can't guarantee that an opportunity for "venting" might not find it's way to this blog....but I'll do my best!

So I'm starting with my story from Friday night. It had been a long week. I had been home-schooling myself for a new product which I will be promoting in 2 weeks. The week left me feeling way less than bright. Dingy, dull, done... are all better descriptions of my mental capabilities from the week. Needless to say, I guess I wasn't at the top of my parenting game in terms of patience or understanding.

I got the boys home from picking the boys up from school, fed them, bathed them, etc and sat down to get a 10 minute check on email. All of a sudden my 9yr old decided he wanted to start his research for a school project. OK - this is good, he's a go-getter, let's get r done! Well he had to research Africa. Not a country within Africa - the entire continent. Huh?! So, we google, Wikepedia, Bing and move right along.

Now let me begin to paint this pic for you. My kids, love to be naked. I figure let them be free...why not. I'm assuming they won't have this naked love when they're 16 so let them have it now. Should we have it when they're 16, this blog might read a lot different! Needless to say, my 9yr old is naked and hanging all over my desk. Ugh! He had also brought a huge bowl of popcorn with him. I decided it was going to be a long night of research and I needed a kernel or two. I guessed wrong. My son felt that he could not possibly spare even 1, half-popped kernel. We had a little "come to Jesus" conversation on how Mommy/Daddy pay for the popcorn so really it's ours. He needed to pony up and share! Ok, problem solved. As we move forward in getting our epic homework done, my 5yr old came in. He is in Kindergarten but a very young kindergartner. We have struggled throughout the year but all of a sudden he's showing interest in working on his spelling. Yea Haw! Here he comes - wanting to write a this note to his cousin. "Mommy, can you spell - Aidan, if you get this note, you need to come and see me so we can get started on playing right away. This is very important." Wow. I tried to explain to him that I would help him, once I finished with helping my older son figure out everything there was to know about Africa! Connor (5yr old) proceeded to tell me I was the worst mother ever because I made him wait. Nice! Meanwhile, my older son (Garrett) is subtly picking his nose and eating it - thinking I didn't notice. Aren't you suppose to be over that at 9?!

At this point, I left the room. Couldn't take it, didn't want to take it, why should I have to take it ANYMORE! I walked out and tried to find a quite place in the house - just for a minute (please). I was them quickly mauled by my 2 dogs who thought they spotted a friend in need. NOOOOOO. This is when something in my head started to go, tick...tick...tick....

Well, I solved my issues and I did it in beautiful fashion. I found myself some amazing dark chocolate and peanut butter and went to town. One full chocolate bar and half a jar of peanut butter and the old me had returned! Back to the office with my naked, nose-picking son joined by my epic spelling little fella.

Looking back visualizing that moment had me laughing. I'm still searching for my mental marbles from that day. Not sure where they went. Should someone find them, please send them back ASAP! Wasn't given a large amount to start with so I need to keep as many of mine as I can!

I figure it's truly the little moments in life that make you giggle. My little moments are my little people!

No comments:

Post a Comment